Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Friday, 17 April 2009

General Tso's Chicken


General Tso's Chicken is a sweet and spicy deep fried chicken dish that is believed to be American Chinese creation. This dish is not served in any Chinese restaurants or takeaway around the world apart from Canada and the USA .

Siaopo can recall a craving for this dish during the three years of her University back in America . As a student, cooking was definitely not a hobby. Simple dishes such as instant noodles or take-away was a routine for her. General Tso's Chicken will always be high on her list when takeaway orders are being placed.

Siaopo can now enjoy this tasty American dish in England !



Ingredients
1 Ib chicken thigh ( cut into large cubes)
2 egg white
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp pepper
cornstarch ( as required)
6 dry red chillies
1 tbsp of ginger (chopped)
1 tbsp of garlic (chopped)
1 tbsp oil
1/2 stalks of spring onions

Sauce
4 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp vinegarr
2 tbsp rice wine
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp of pepper
1 cup chicken broth ( made from chicken stocks)
water


Method

  1. Combine the chicken cubes with the egg white, soy sauce and pepper. Marinate for 30 minutes
  2. Add in cornstarch and nicely coat the chicken with chopstick onto the cornstarch.
  3. Add in 1 tbsp oil to seperate the chicken cubes
  4. Heat oil in wok and drop the chicken cubes into hot oil, a few pieces at a time and deep-fry them.
  5. Remove the chicken cubes on kitchen towel to remove excess oil.
  6. Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl.
  7. Clean the wok. Add 1 tbsp oil and stir fry dried red chillies, ginger and garlic till fragrant.
  8. Add the sauce into the wok. Stir 1-2 min until sauce is thicken.
  9. Add in the chicken and stir until chicken is well coated with sauce
  10. Add in spring onions.
  11. Ready to serve with boiled rice.



Comment from Food Critic WP Ng - Very tasty, batter is just nice but the excessive amount of gravy has slightly soften the chicken.

6 comments:

sinnwee said...

I like the US style kung pao chicken better.. when is the recipe for that coming out??? I dowan celery btw ....

Unknown said...

This General Tso chicken is very tasty indeed. Also tasty is Seremban Lou Shi Fun and weekend is here now. hehe!
Sinn Wee, keep practicing and we can play in September! I am going for lessons to improve my swings.

Anonymous said...

This looks like sweet and sour chicken... :) normally I cook a simpler version as I am lazy girl :P ... I will buy the sweet and sour sauce, and then fried the chicken with either the corn flour or the kentucky chicken... then after that prepare the garlic and fried it a bit to become garlic oil and then add in the sauce... then pour the sauce onto the fried chicken only... but I am sure yours taste better as u make your own sauce :)

Lufbra Girl

- Siaopo - said...

Sinn Wee,
I haven't cook Kung Pao chicken before. Let me try out and if successful, will post on blog :)
Wish me luck...

- Siaopo - said...

Lufbra Girl,
I do sometimes use the ready-made sauce too when I get lazy or get home late from work. :) Give this recipe a go, you may like it.

- Siaopo - said...

WP Ng,
Decision making is by the cook and not the customer. In short, you just eat what I cook !!!! :P